The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) is a globally recognized qualification. By having an MOS certificate on your resume or curriculum vitae, it shows that you have gained the necessary expertise to competently use Microsoft applications. It serves to objectively validate your digital literacy and instructional technology skills and, it may assist in your advancement in your position. Each certificate is a qualification in its own right – so you can take just one, or as many as you like. Microsoft refers to it as the “only comprehensive, performance-based certification program approved by Microsoft to validate desktop computer skills”.
After earning an MOS certification, you receive access to a member Web site where you can print transcripts to demonstrate proof of certification and receive a certificate that verifies your successful completion of the exam. Additionally, professionals who earn this certification gain access to a certification logo that they can display on their resumes and other business materials.
Faculty members may earn flex credit for the training and testing and classified staff may receive a differential for MOS certification.
Unit I employees who provide documentation of having successfully completed training leading to Microsoft Office Specialist (“MOS”) certification or Network+ Certification, and who have received such certification, shall receive a differential of $100.68 per month upon certification to the District.
- MOS Certification.The Microsoft Office Specialist (“MOS”) certification shall be valid for three (3) years from the date of issuance. To renew eligibility for the computing differential after three (3) years, an employee must present proof of having successfully tested for and received the most current MOS certification that exists at the time of retesting. The certification shall remain valid for purposes of the computing differential, on a year-to-year basis, until a new certification is offered by Microsoft.
- Network+ Certification – Information Technology. Employees who serve in the designated information technology classifications may qualify for the Network+ certification differential upon completion of certification. The Network+ certification shall be valid for three (3) years from the date of issuance. To renew eligibility for the Network+ certification after three (3) years, an employee must present proof of having successfully tested for and received the most current Network+ certification that exists at the time of retesting. The certification shall remain valid for purposes of the Network+ differential, on a year-to-year basis, until a new certification is offered.
Notwithstanding the above provisions in sections 1 and 2, those employees who already possess the required certification and if that certification is recent enough to qualify the employee for said differential, the employee shall be eligible for the differential upon execution of this Agreement. Employees who qualify shall receive either the MOS or the Network+ certification but not both. Employees shall be eligible for the differential the month following the receipt of the proof of certification.
MOS Certification Differntial Information:
- The computing differential in the AFT College Staff Guild contract pays $100.68 per month as long as an employee remains Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certified.
- The MOS differential becomes part of MOS certified employees’ salary and counts as part of the salary at retirement.
- Microsoft Office Suite consists of Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Access. Pick one program in the suite and pass the core exam for certification. You don’t have to be certified in all programs to receive the monthly differential.
- Information Technology employees may qualify for the differential with the Network+ certification.
To Sign Up for Training:
- Step 1: Send an e-mail to email@example.com indicating your interest as well as the software program you will study: 1) Access, 2) Excel, 3) Office, 4) Outlook, 5) Powerpoint, and 6) Word.
- Please note, it is highly recommended that you study one program at a time. You only need to be certified in one program to receive the monthly differential. However, you can continue to take additional trainings to enhance your skills after you get certified.
- Step 2: Once you receive your user name and password, you may get started. The entire program is online, available to you 24 hours 7 days a week.
- In addition to the online training, Title V offers in-person trainings and workshops. Visit their website for more information or to request assistance.
After Your LATTC Training, Register for the MOS Test:
- Visit www.certiport.com to find testing centers, OR
- Call our sister school, Valley College, also a testing site, to make an appointment. The number is (818) 947-2569. The test is approximately $115 dollars ($100 + $15 proctor fee) with a free retake in 60 days. You may pay by cash, credit card, or check. Testing for Microsoft Office 2003 is approximately ($85 + $15 proctor fee). Also, they offer free pretests for Microsoft Office 2003 (but not for 2007 and 2010).
Tuition reimbursement is available (Article 17A of the AFT 1521A Contract): http://laccd.edu/faculty_staff/hr/documents/AFTStaffGuild_Contract.pdf).
- When you pass your exam, submit your certification to LACCD Human Resources. “Employees shall be eligible for the differential the month following the receipt of proof of certification.”