- Have earned or be a candidate to earn a certificate or degree from an LACCD campus summer 2019, fall 2019, or spring 2020.
- Complete the online LACCD Black Graduation Celebration Registration by the due date.
- Participate in the LACCD Black Graduation Celebration (winners must be present to receive scholarship).
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 from home campus.
- Adhere to the theme.
- Be solely the student’s original work. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Interpret the theme Connect the theme with a current event or a personal experience.
- Include a minimum of at least 1 significant African American historical reference.
- Have a relevant and accurate statistic and its source.
- Contain at least 1 relevant quote from an influential African American figure.
- Reflect the student’s point of view.
Winners will be selected based on the above-referenced criteria as well as the quality of their narrative, originality of the essay, and the proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Applications will be scored by the LACCD BFSA Student Scholarship Committee based on the above-referenced criteria.
- Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the 2nd Friday of March.
- Submissions that do not adhere to all of the essay criteria will not be eligible.
- For more information, contact Dr. Thomas Dawkins at
Finalists will be notified no later than 5:00 pm on the 4th Friday of March.